Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Airlines and Social Media Customer Service

Airlines and social media have been a common topic. With airlines being such huge companies that thrive off of positive customer feedback- a social media presence is important. However, it's more common for customers to post negative comments rather than positive ones. As stated in an article on fortune.com: "The research, which analyzed Twitter posts over three months, finds negative sentiment towards the airlines is significantly higher than positive sentiment, at least on social media. Of the five domestic airlines studied by Crimson Hexagon, average negative sentiment is 47%, while positive sentiment averages just over 20%. And we can’t stop talking about airlines. The firm also found a 209% increase in brand mentions since 2012, confirming that more and more consumers are turning to social media to discuss airlines" 209%! Crazy! I've got to say though... whenever I've had a complaint about an airline- twitter is the first place I go. They respond much quicker through social media than they would any other way (in my experience, anyways). Just like most other companies - no one wants to be bashed publicly. They want to show everyone that they listen and take your concerns seriously. 



Here's a pretty cool story of an experience I had on the other side of things... I was at the JetBlue gate waiting for a flight from Boston to Los Angeles when I had a concern about my ticket and seat. I went up to the desk and ask the questions I needed to (I can't even remember the specific concern... is that proof that the good experience I'm about to tell you about replaced any negative thoughts, or what??), the JetBlue attendant was so friendly and so helpful. I went back to my seat and tweeted "Love flying @JetBlue our of @BostonLogan! Best airline ever!". Literally 5 minutes later, the attendant at the gate desk went on to the speaker and said "We want to thank Paige Turcotte for the positive words on Twitter! Please make your way to the desk at your convenience". I walked up to the desk and they gave me a free upgrade to an "even more legroom" seat! I was so surprised and happy! They definitely made a satisfied customer out of me.  I even tweeted again and said "Andy, who works at the @JetBlue gate at @BostonLogan needs a raise!" JetBlue tweeted me back saying they would let management know. I don't know what ended up happening with Andy, re: his raise, but I sure hope he got one! 

I also believe JetBlue is great at the way they interact with customers via social media. It almost feels like it's your friend responding. They don't worry about posting perfectly structured sentences or speaking the way they would in a courtroom. Here's some examples:
(little note about the one below - my flight has free wifi on it, but I thought that was because our Direct TV didn't work. Another note - I wasn't even mad about the TVs not working, I love JetBlue that much!)


I really appreciate how they seem like normal people and like they actually care about your concerns and have FUN with it. 

The power of social media once again proves itself. Actually, as I write this, I am on a JetBlue flight :) 
Do you have any great or not-so-great airline experiences? Did you use social media to voice those opinions and how did it work out for you?
I'll leave you with this little video poking fun at airline social media fails!

No comments:

Post a Comment